ID Requirements for Firearm Transactions

Notice regarding California 'Federal Limits Apply' Licenses

'Federal Limits Apply' licenses may be accepted for paperwork purposes if the following two conditions are met:

  • Your license must be issued after Jan 22, 2018
  • You must provide an additional document for Proof of Legal Status

Acceptable Documents (original or certified copy only)

  • Unexpired U.S. passport of passport card
  • Certified copy of birth certificate from a U.S. state or U.S. territory
  • U.S. certified or consular report of birth abroad
  • Unexpired foreign passport with valid U.S. visa and approved I-94 form
  • Certificate of naturalization or citizenship
  • Valid, unexpired Permanent resident Card
  • Unexpired employment authorization document (EAD) Card (I-766) or valid/unexpired EAD Card with Notice of Action (I-797 C)