California Handgun Roster, Single-Action Exemption FAQ

Q: What is the California Handgun Roster?
A: The official name is the "Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale" and it is the result of a law that regulates which handguns can be sold by a dealer in the state of California. In Summary:

"Effective January 1, 2001, no handgun may be manufactured within California, imported into California for sale, lent, given, kept for sale, or offered/exposed for sale unless that handgun model has passed firing, safety, and drop tests and is certified for sale in California by the Department of Justice. Private party transfers, curio/relic handguns, certain single-action revolvers, and pawn/consignment returns are exempt from this requirement."

Q: How do I know if the handgun I want is available for sale in California?
A: Details on the roster and a searchable index of handguns can be found on the Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale website.

Q: Are there any exemptions from the roster requirement?
A: Yes. The roster only applies to new dealer handgun sales. If you are buying a handgun from a private party in a face-to-face transaction, the handgun is exempt from the roster. Law enforcement officers are also exempt from the roster. Additionally, many curio&relic, single-shot, and single-action handguns are exempt from the requirement.

Q: If I have a gun in my possession that is not on the roster, am I breaking the law?
A: The roster only regulates new dealer sales of firearms in the state of California, it does not define handguns that are legal to possess.  There are several legal ways to acquire off-roster handguns in the state of California. Additionally, there may be features of your handgun that would classify it as an assault weapon, such as a threaded barrel, which may make the handgun illegal to possess.

Q: What is a single-action exemption?
A: This exemption applies to a revolver that requires the hammer to be manually cocked by hand before each shot. The revolver must have a barrel at least 3" in length, an overall length of 7.5", and a cylinder that holds at least 5 rounds. RifleGear is able to convert many revolvers into a single-action configuration in order to meet this exemption.

Q: Is there a charge for a single-action conversion?
A: Yes, there is a nominal charge of $50 for single-action revolver conversions.

Q: Is the single-action conversion permanent?
A: There is no legal requirement that the conversion be permanent. After the 10 day waiting period and after the handgun has been signed out into your possession, it is legal for you to reverse the conversion and return the handgun into it's original double action configuration. RifleGear offers gunsmith services for  single-action handguns.

Q: Is there a wait for a single-action conversion?
A: In most cases, Yes. We will contact you via phone or email when we are able to perform your conversion and you can then come in and start the DROS process.

Q: How do I know if a handgun on the RifleGear website requires a single-action conversion?
A: Please check the Handgun Roster for the most current list, as the roster is continually adding or dropping handguns from the list. Although we do our due diligence, it is your responsibility to check the roster for the most current information.